When i was young i used to stare at the sun. Sometimes at the beach, away from the hustle and bustle of the family BBQ, sometimes on the long lonely ride home from my grandparents' place in our yellow mini Suzuki. It used to fascinate me. The way the sun would seemingly change from an incandescent white ball to a seething black mass with a bluish tinge. My mom's pleas for me to stop staring would fall mostly on deaf ears, and the images of me walking around with flames in my eye sockets never did put me off. The sun was beautiful, still is in fact, and it is perfectly understandable why primitive people worshipped it and offered sacrifices. The Sun provided the vital energy needed for their crops to flourish and their very lives depended on their harvest. What a tragedy it would be for the sun to disappear suddenly leaving them in an all consuming darkness.
The irony of it all is how i have become an owl, instead of a lark that flies with the early rays of the sun. I prefer the cold comfort of the black night to the warm embrace of the sun. But maybe, just maybe, i guess deep down i would like to be that lark. The one who wakes up at the crack of dawn and not the one who wakes up at the crack of noon (or even later). I do like to wake up early for work or school or soccer, i like to be in the midst of people running about, running their daily lives. Like they say the early bird gets the worm.
I still see myself as that little boy in the backseat staring at the sun, ignoring the discomfort to my eyes, willing myself to continue. Undaunted by the consequences. Or should i say foolhardy and offering little thought to and scant regard for the complications? Sometimes i do things just because i wanna see whether i measure up to actually completing it. I don't compete with people. I compete with my self. And sometimes, it's just the hardest thing.
The irony of it all is how i have become an owl, instead of a lark that flies with the early rays of the sun. I prefer the cold comfort of the black night to the warm embrace of the sun. But maybe, just maybe, i guess deep down i would like to be that lark. The one who wakes up at the crack of dawn and not the one who wakes up at the crack of noon (or even later). I do like to wake up early for work or school or soccer, i like to be in the midst of people running about, running their daily lives. Like they say the early bird gets the worm.
I still see myself as that little boy in the backseat staring at the sun, ignoring the discomfort to my eyes, willing myself to continue. Undaunted by the consequences. Or should i say foolhardy and offering little thought to and scant regard for the complications? Sometimes i do things just because i wanna see whether i measure up to actually completing it. I don't compete with people. I compete with my self. And sometimes, it's just the hardest thing.

No comments:
Post a Comment